In a highly dynamic environment, development project managers are expected to do more with less, project managers have to deal with the numerous requests from different stakeholders. Despite these various challenges, project managers are still expect
The Project Work Breakdown Structure is an outcome oriented analysis of the work involved in the project and defines the total scope of the project. It is a foundation document in project management because it provides the basis for planning and mana
Participation by project stakeholders means sharing a common understanding and involvement in the decision-making process of the project. Participation by stakeholders leads to empowerment and to joint ownership of the project. To increase participat
Development organizations vary in size and orientation, most share the common goal of helping people and benefiting society. There are the large development projects financed by governments and institutions such as the World Bank that focus on i
A project management methodology is defined as a system of methods, principles, and rules for managing a project. It can help organizations by standardizing processes, building a common language and understanding how to manage a project. It helps project managers reduce risks, avoid duplication of efforts and to ultimately increase the impact of the project.
A methodology provides project teams with a set of standards to initiate and manage individual projects. A methodology contains definitions, guidelines, and templates for the various project management activities needed to deliver successful projects. The methodology establishes common ground for all projects within an organization.
By adopting a project management methodology development organizations will be able to:
- Quickly adapt to new challenges and invest limited resources in the best way possible in order to achieve recurring successes.
- Build a successful project management culture that will enable the effective utilization of the project management methodology.
- Expand the skills of project managers, and give them a holistic understanding and a solid foundation to manage their projects efficiently.
- Reduce risks and increase the chances of project success.
- Increase the motivation of the project team, and increase their productivity.
- Deliver more projects on time, and within budget that meet or exceed the expectations of donors, beneficiaries and project stakeholders.
Organizations that use a standard method, have more confidence that the project is conducted in a disciplined, well-managed and consistent manner, which promotes the delivery of quality results within the constraints of time and cost.